How to clean malware from an e-mail archive when using BEST
Bitdefender can identify viruses in e-mail databases and e-mail archives stored on disk.
Sometimes it is necessary to identify the infected message using the information provided in the scan report, and delete it manually.
Here is how you can clean a virus stored in an e-mail archive:
1. Scan the e-mail database with BEST.
2. Turn OFF the Bitdefender On-access antivirus protection:
- Open the BEST using Power User mode or modify the policy currently applied on the machine.
- Under Antimalware > On-access, disable the On-access Scanning by unselecting the checkbox
3. Open the scan report and use the identification information (Subject, From, To) of the infected messages to locate them in the e-mail client.
4. Delete the infected messages. Most e-mail clients also move the deleted message to a recovery folder, from which it can be recovered. You should make sure the message is deleted also from this recovery folder.
5. Compact the folder storing the infected message.
- In Outlook Express: On the File menu, click Folder, then Compact All Folders.
- In Microsoft Outlook 2007: On the File menu, click Data File Management. Select the personal folders (.pst) files you intend to compact, and click Settings. Click Compact Now.
- In Microsoft Outlook 2010 / 2013: On the File menu, click Info and then Account settings (Add and remove accounts or change existing connection settings). Then click Data File, select the personal folders (.pst) files you intend to compact, and click Settings. Click Compact Now.
6. Turn ON the Bitdefender On-access antivirus protection.